VOYCE’s School Discipline Reform Bill Passes Illinois Senate!
Voices of Youth in Chicago Education (VOYCE) and the Campaign for Common Sense Discipline celebrated an exciting victory on April 23, 2015 as SB 100 took a huge step closer to becoming law in Illinois. The Illinois Senate voted to pass SB 100 out of the Illinois State Senate with widespread bipartisan support from 38 Senators. Click here to see how the Senators voted. The bill now moves to the House!
- Placing standards on the use of long-term out of school suspensions, expulsions and other harsh disciplinary practices
- Prohibiting the use of all disciplinary fines and fees
- Prohibiting the “zero-tolerance” policies that lead to high numbers of suspensions and expulsions of students of color
- Allowing schools to have local decision making authority over student discipline issues.
- Find your Rep. by clicking this link! Put in your address, and click “Find Address”. Next, click “Confirm Address”.
- Scroll down to the third box titled “Representative District #_”to identify your representative.
- Call their Springfield and local office and ask them to “Vote Yes” on SB100!
- Let us know you called by emailing us here!